For press inquiries & review copies contact: alexis [at] pennycandybooks.com
Penny Candy Books, General
- Oklahoma Gazette, Penny Candy Books publishes books with big ideas for young readers and their parents. July 27, 2017.
- Writer’s Digest, Poetry Publisher Interview. May 2, 2017.
- Publisher's Weekly, Penny Candy Books: A Mission Becomes a Moral Directive. December 1, 2016.
- Real Dads Read Book List, A Gift from Greensboro and The Not In Here Story.
- Savannah Morning News, Penny Candy Books Putting New Spin on Children's Books. November 6, 2016
- NEA Today, Diversity in Children's Literature Key to Understanding Today's Civil Rights Issues. October 24, 2016.
- One Mic, One Voice Podcast, Ep. 58: Language Matters. October 30, 2016.
- Whoorl, Penny Candy Books. October 17, 2016.
Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Black Boy
- Fatherly. Author Tony Medina Finds Words for the Dreams and Anxieties of Black Youth (Interview). Feb. 22, 2018. Excerpt: "It’s a book that celebrates the humanity and power of black children. It’s a beautiful, poignant work."
- Publisher's Weekly. Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Black Boy. Feb. 5, 2018. Excerpt: "The tone of Medina’s poems, however, largely remains encouraging as he emphasizes the multi- faceted nature of the black youth he honors."
- Kirkus Reviews, starred review, Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Black Boy. Feb. 4, 2018. Excerpt: "The fascinating illustrations matched with the dazzling imagery of Medina’s tanka make this a captivating release."
- Booklist, Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Black Boy. Feb. 1, 2018. Excerpt: "The very different artistic renderings, which range from solid to psychedelic, all catch the eye. Though short (only 31 syllables over 5 lines), the poems pack a punch and are a great introduction to reading poetry and the art of writing it. Teachers and other adults will find many ways to use this with children."
- Here Wee Read, The 2018 Ultimate List of Diverse Children's Books.
The Day We Lost Pet
- Telegram & Gazette, Clintonian's Book Helps Children Deal with Loss, February 11, 2018.
- Worcester Magazine, The Day We Lost Pet: A Child's Understanding of Life and Death. December 14, 2017.
- Kirkus Reviews, starred review, The Day We Lost Pet. October 30, 2017. Excerpt: "This supremely tender book is one that readers will return to again and again, if they can bear it, finding new meaning with each reading and in each new stage of life. Breathtakingly original."
Somewhere a bell is ringing
The Blue Pool of Questions
- World Literature Today’s 75 Notable Translations of 2017. December 12, 2017.
- Kirkus Reviews, The Blue Pool of Questions. August 7, 2017. Excerpt: "Deliciously confounding and deeply moving, this book is a work of art in pictures and words for adults and children alike."
- Publisher's Weekly, The Blue Pool of Questions. July 2017. Excerpt: "Manasrah’s richly multilayered illustrations mesh gracefully with Abu-Alhayyat's abstract writing in a haunting meditation on one man’s search for belonging and meaning."
A Gift from Greensboro
- The Pirate Tree: Social Justice & Children's Literature, Remembering the Struggles of the Elders. January 2, 2018.
- Parade, Celebrate Poem In Your Pocket Day with These 10 Poetic Reads. March 27, 2017.
- Chicago Tribune, 'A Gift from Greensboro' Leads Our Children's Book Roundup. March 7, 2017.
- The Brown Bookshelf, A Gift from Greensboro. January 30, 2017
- Bustle, 20 Children's Books from Around the World to Read for Multicultural Children's Book Day. January 27, 2016.
- Kirkus Reviews, A Gift from Greensboro. November 27, 2016.
- Booklist Online, Booklist Review: A Gift from Greensboro. October 15, 2016.
- Chicago Parent, The Poetry Foundation's Programming Will Surprise & Illuminate. October 10, 2016.
- Greensboro News & Record, Author Reads at Woolworth. October 13, 2016.
- Books Before Bandaids, Review: A Gift from Greensboro. September 22, 2016.
The Not In Here Story
- Much Ado About Adoption, Book Review: The Not In Here Story. February 2018.
- Reader's Digest online, 10 Children's Books that Can Get You Through Life's Toughest Moments. December 2016.
- Red Dirt Report, Seek and Find. November 2016
- Raising Mom, Review: The Not In Here Story. November 14, 2016.
- Territory OKC, The Not In Here Story. November 2016.
- CBS4 Denver, Author Inspires You to Think about Adoption. October 2016.